Sunday, October 23, 2011

Day 5

Elimination Pancakes
with Sauteed Pears/Apples
Today I woke up with the most energy that I have had in a while. I was still a little congested, I often wake up and have to blow my nose, I am curious if that will change at all on this diet or if it is just due to having a cat in the bed?
 
I made my berry protein shake and headed to the park for a workout. When I got home, I decided to experiment with some pancakes. And I have to say, that I was very impressed with how good they tasted and each pancake has 5g of fiber, which is very good for gluten free cooking! Here is the recipe:
 
Elimination Pancakes
Combine dry ingredients and set aside:
  • 1/2 cup gluten free oat flour
  • 1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup teff flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda

EGG:  In a separate bowl make the Egg Replacer by combining
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed and
  • 1/2 cup water and let sit 5 minutes
 
MILK:  In another bowl mix
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut milk with
  • 1 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
Let sit 5 minutes

Combine the above egg and milk with
  • 1/4 cup apple sauce with
  • 2 tbsp sunflower oil.

Stir in dry ingredients. Do not over mix. You may need to add water for desired consistency.

Serve with sauteed fruit of your choice. We used pears and applesauce. Other options would be to top with sprinkle nuts or almond butter. This recipe made about 13 pancakes, enough for us to have fast easy leftovers for b'fast tomorrow.
Lunch today was leftover beans, cabbage and yak.
Afternoon snack was apple slices, granola and pecans
 
Dinner today was Delicious Pan Seared Salmon with sesame seeds, thyme and lemon, served with creamed parsnips, steamed cauliflower and broccoli and sliced tomatoes. I will let Mom elaborate on that recipe, that was all her.
 
I am feeling really good at this point. I really think that planning ahead is key in making this diet work. Leftovers make great lunches or can be frozen and saved for another day. I also advise to start slowly stocking the pantry with some of the baking items, flours, nuts, etc. before starting the Elimination Diet because it can be expensive to go out and buy it all at once. Prepare to plan and Plan to prepare, this IS totally doable!

No comments: